Janet I. Blauvelt
Janet Blauvelt has been assisting clients in the areas of business law, business
litigation, and estate planning since 1986. After 18 successful years at a mid-sized Kansas City law firm, she left to practice in a less bureaucratic setting.
She enjoys setting up new businesses, advising clients on real estate, employment, and contract issues, and assisting with transitioning businesses to the next generation. She believes that estate plans should accomplish the desired goals while remaining as simple as possible.
Janet has structured her firm as a stand-alone practice, so that she can provide one-on-one attention and quick turn-around to her clients.
“I’ve found that at first, business people are concerned that a small law firm might not be aggressive in asserting the rights of their business against other businesses, government agencies, or employees,” Janet notes. “However, my experience includes successful litigation. In fact, a recent case resulted in a favorable Missouri Supreme Court decision for my client—and a new state law. We don’t consider litigation the best option for every dispute, but we don’t back down from a fight, either. And when we litigate, we want to win.”
Janet is a graduate of the University of Missouri, Kansas City School of Law, earning her JD in 1986. She has served her profession by:
· Serving for eight years on the Missouri Supreme Court Advisory Committee
· Volunteering to represent indigent women seeking orders of protection from abuse
· Co-Chairing the Missouri Task Force on Gender & Justice
· Serving as President of the Association for Women Lawyers.
Janet has volunteered for the city she loves by serving on the
· Kansas City Public Improvements Advisory Committee (PIAC).
· Kansas City Parking Commission
· FOCUS Kansas City Steering Committee
· Community Infrastructure Committee
· Central Business Corridor Transit Plan
· Land Trust of Jackson County
· Kansas City Light Rail Task Force.
Janet’s non-profit volunteer work also includes:
· President of the Board of Directors for New Horizons Assistance Programs, providing residential services to developmentally disabled adults
· President of the Friends of Powell Gardens
· President of the Kansas City Dressage Society
· President of the Garden Center Association of Greater Kansas City.
She has participated in many civic organizations, including:
· the Central Exchange
· the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce
· the Women's Chamber of Commerce of Greater Kansas City
· the Association for Women Lawyers.
· the Northland Regional Chamber of Commerce.
· the Excelsior Springs Chamber of Commerce.
Before moving to Kansas City in 1981 and attending law school, Janet taught high school English in a suburban Chicago school district for five years. When not attending to client needs, Janet lives on a 45-acre farm north of Kansas City and enjoys caring for and riding her five (5) horses.
These three hang out in the pasture behind the Livestock Exchange Building. Rhapsody, one of Janet’s horses, is on the left.
Attorney Janet Blauvelt has over twenty-five years of experience assisting business owners.